Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Where Does The Word "Hermaphrodite" Come From?

OK, as I researched this I found that the answer isn't quite as dang interesting as I thought at first but it's still worth discussing.

The word at issue here is "hermaphrodite." First, let's make sure everyone knows what it means. Wikipedia defines the word as "an organism that possesses both male and female sex organs during its life." As to the origin of the word, they have this to say:
In Greek mythology, Hermaphroditus or Hermaphroditos (Greek ) was the child of Aphrodite and Hermes. Born a remarkably handsome boy, he was transformed into an intersexual being by union with the nymph Salmacis. His name is the basis for the word hermaphrodite.
My point, the thing I found interesting about it, is that the word is a combination of Hermes and Aphrodite: hermaphrodite. It seems obvious when you know it but it sure never occurred to me. Not a big deal, just an interesting factoid. That's what this blog is all about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so realized that! I've been thinking about this because we're studying myths at school with the gods and goddesses.

Anonymous said...

I was right!!! thanks for telling me so :)